20/06/2012

Lid making

I needed to think of lids. If I am intending to make vessels for kitchen use, especially for dry foodstuffs, they will need airtight lids, to be protected from moisture, humid, dust, etc. Here's some thoughts:
-the lid should be heavy - gives a sense of value
- plywood fitted inside the metal frame - gives support and structure
cork bezel - to make the container airtight. I feel that cork would work better as a gasket than plastic one, due to its organic appearance and colour.


Cutting the excess base metal with guillotine, then filed off the sharp edges.  





Some kind of cork, probably blend with bonding component... got it from 4D Modelling in Algate. Was trying to look for proper one, the one that is lighter in colour and more lumpy, I guess pure cork, but it was quite expensive. Contacted few suppliers and the average price for one square meter (10mm thick) was about £80. 



Still in need of trimming. Need to mill the wood to level with metal.



Whatta mess!





I had another kind of lid in mind. For that I purchased 3mm copper sheet (the one I usually use is 1,2mm, 18gauges). Very simple one, but needed to be made on lathe. The 3mm copper, pierced in circle, is sandwiched between two wooden rings and adjusted very tightly on to the lathe.  As the drawing above shows, I milled inlay of  10mm, working off 1,5mm of the metal, creating the bezel.



This flat disc was intended for the double walled piece. I thought it would be elegant, very simple 'disc' lid.



But what happened in the end was, the disc lid obviously is machine operated, therefore perfectly round and even, when again the vessels that I wanted to use it for, is 100% handmade, therefore it is not fully even. Them two together did not look good together, did not meet perfectly. What I needed to do is to make the lid by hand, to make it right way 'imperfect'! 



No comments:

Post a Comment